Friday, March 13, 2009

12 and 13 year olds, necessary?

So this week has been a bad one at work. As you can see by my title, today I am wondering if we can't just skip the years 12-13 in the growth process or at least maybe like speed it up. Like maybe if we had a fast forward button on each kid and speed through those years in like a week. I think that would be great. Then they would emerge more mature, they would not steal my dry erase markers, they would not forget what I have told them 3 times before- about 30 seconds after I told them the last time, they would not demand my help and attention all at the same time, right now!!!! Really it would be so nice, I bet parents would go for it too. So if any of you out there know of a brilliant scientist looking for a new project please pass along my idea.

The big problem when weeks like this happen is Ms. Crandall gets more and more sarcastic (they tell us not to be at all, like that will happen) for instance here is an exchange that happened today, Me- "Suzy I have asked you repeatedly to not throw things in class, please don't do it again." Student- "But Joe did it first." Me- "Oh, well that's OK then because obviously if someone else does it first that completely absolves you of having to obey any rules. So apparently you are free to just ignore all the class rules from now on."

Yes I know this may not be the best teaching method but I did get a laugh from my students who understand sarcasm and the offending student was quiet :)

3 comments:

Lauri said...

Ha,ha, ha! I think you're hilarious and sarcasm is a talent, and you know hwat they say about hiding your light under a bushel...

I am disheartened to realize that my oldest will not be growing out of the "tell me one more time what I should be doing right now, Mom" phase in the next 2 or 3 years. I guess I should enjoy it while it lasts, because in about 5 or 6 years, she won't want me to tell her anything at all, right?

Kim H. said...

Does this leave me no hope that G. will be less obnoxious any time soon? Ya, Sarcasm is a talent!

KLF said...

I would have loved to have you as a teacher! I have a nine year old that would be in deep trouble if there was a fast forward button. She'd be older than me in a week with her attitude. Good thing we all just get to suffer through their wonder years.