Saturday, January 17, 2009

Game etiquette

Hello all. So this week I found a website where I can play Settlers of Catan for free. As some of you may know, I quite enjoy playing games and since I can't usually convince people to play with me as often as I want my only gaming outlet is the computer. This seems like a great solution but I have discovered that when playing online other people have some issues. And this is not just me. I have discussed this problem with my sister so I feel that maybe it is a much more widespread problem then I know. In the interests of the general good, or just to get it off my chest, I would like to layout some suggestions for people who play with others online. Please feel free to share these with others, maybe they will get to the ridiculous people I played today!

1. Stop being whimps! It is a game, people play to win, duh! That is why those of us that spend too much time playing anything online do so, we are competitive and like to win!!! So when I rob you even if you only have one card, or only 3 points don't yell at me, or swear or cry.

2. Be nice. I do not mean in strategy as mentioned before, play to win, whatever that entails while following the rules. I refer here to not telling people they are stupid, swearing at them or telling them to learn how to play the game if he/she does something you don't like or would not have done your self.

Now since I myself am a gigantic whinner when playing with real people some people may think that this is hypocritical. You may be right but most of the time I am whinning at my family, they can take it. Not complete strangers. Also I am considering therapy for the problem :)

Actually maybe I will just start vetting people before I play with them. My questions might be something like this... Are you a sissy? Will you whine and act like a 2 year old with a potty mouth if things do not go your way? If not, lets play!

Also, sort of related to the game theme, I went and saw Slumdog Millionaire and it was great! It was disturbing but a great story.

3 comments:

Kim H. said...

I like your rules...and I suck at the online game. Also we watched ghost town last night, I fell asleep, you said it was good!

KLF said...

Hi, Melissa. This is Kim Reagan F. I found your blog off of Lauri Sorenson's blog. I just wanted to say hello and tell you how excited I am to get in touch with you. If you want, check out my blog at adamnkimberly.blogspot.com. I love your blog, it's so good to hear your thoughts. I miss you.

Angie said...

I could say that the solution might be to quit the online gaming before it turns into an obsession (which you are prone to) that takes over and wastes your life. But, you might not like that, so I won't say it :).