Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lock down, this is not a drill....

Hello all. This week was pretty good, mellow, nothing to exciting until Friday. First the beginning of the week was just work and class. I started my Special Ed law class on Tuesday and it seems like it will be pretty interesting. My Thursday night class so far is not so interesting. It will be a struggle to get through this semester.

Back to work, my administration is AWESOME. We had a meeting this week to discuss the 4 special ed classes we have that have over 23 students in them.(Luckily none of those are mine) The district will not do anything about maybe getting an other teacher until we count numbers on October 1st. So until then my Principal and Vice principal are going to take turns going into the over crowded classes and help the teacher teach them. I have never seen that before. The bad part of this is that I may have to go to teaching all Special Ed classes for the rest of the year. I really don't want to so everyone cross your fingers that it works out.

So exciting Friday... it was a normal day until the middle of 7th period. I was with my 7th grade Special Ed reading class. The secretary came over the announcements and said we were going into lockdown. I knew we were going to have a drill sometime soon so I assumed it was that and ran towards the door to close and lock it as I told my students to get in my office. My autistic boy yelled that the lights had to be turned out, I told him I would get them. He then yelled "Drop, cover and roll" and flew under my desk. I let him stay under the desk while trying to calm him down. Then my students in the office said, "What's going on, they said it wasn't a drill." I said, "Really?!" Anyway it turns out there was an armed robbery at the 7-11 adjacent to our field and the cops saw the suspect go in the school's direction. We were only in lockdown for about 45 minutes before they caught the suspect but it was kind of scary. I felt much better after Kenn and I went to the Mama Mia sing-a-long again and we dragged John too.

3 comments:

Kim H. said...

Your blog looks really cool...very modern, maybe I will switch to black. Check out my latest posting on the Vampire saga:)

Lauri said...

yay! I love blogs! Your lock down sounds very eventful. Hope you don't have too many more of those. SOunds like you have a busy semester - good luck!

Angie said...

Drop, cover and roll is pretty funny! Your obsession with Mama Mia is not ;).