Monday, September 15, 2008

The Vampires...

Ok so I started commenting on my sister's blog entry on the Twilight books that she finally just read and comments posted about it and it got to long so I decided just to put it on my own blog. So here goes for all you that have been waiting eagerly for my opinion on the series (sure) Well all those of you that said it is not the best writing, you kept reading. If writing is truly bad you stop, believe me, I've read enough LDS fiction. Not that I am saying it is the greatest writing but she has created complicated characters and a very engaging story. I think it can be a great tool to show girls what is good and bad about adolescent behavior. Come on Bella cooks, and cleans for her father willingly, without complaining, because she loves him. I agree she is very obsessive about her love but if a teenager has to be obsessive about something, which they usually are at some point, it could be worse. I guess Edward reminds me of Mr. Darcy in some of the ways he acts and that is not all bad. Also he changes as does Bella throughout the series. Jacob is the one that gets on my nerves, especially in the last book. We all know you are tortured, get over it. Anyway those are my thoughts please feel free to agree or argue with any of them. I'd love a great discussion!!

3 comments:

Kim H. said...

Yes, but she is not just obsessive about Edward she is almost suicidal, that is really not OK!

Melissa said...

As I said, She can be both a good example and a bad example. It is a great way to open up a discussion with daughters. I think that is a much better idea than just not letting them read it.

Harmony said...

So, I hope you don't mind me crashing your blog. I want to clarify my position on the vampire. I do believe Meyer has a talent to keep you reading. Her imagination is beyond what I could ever even fathom. Bella is crazy, but, I think, represents teenage infatuation pretty accurately. I pray my little pip-squeak isn't so enamored that she would be willing to give up her entire life at 17. Though I honestly devoured all the books as they came out I really don't care for her style of writing. Then again I'm almost 30 and her target audience is a decade younger than I am. Wow! I'm suddenly feeling quite old!