Monday, September 22, 2008

The Tongue is a very important muscle...

So last week I had a crown fall off. I called my family dentist, Bill, and made an appointment. I had to take a whole day off because he is in Pleasant Grove but it is worth it because 1. He is a great dentist, 2. he's family and 3. He has me totally parinoid about seeing another dentist who will tell me I have cavities and other issues when I don't then stick me with that horrible needle when I don't need it. Anyway the crown ended up being an easy fix, just glued right back on. But while I was there he asked me if I wanted him to cut off the fibroma on my tongue. I think that was the technical term for an annoying bump on the side that he thought was some scar tissue (I bit my tongue hard, then kept biting it or something) and I had had it for 2-3 years. I think he finally figured I was not going to go to the Doctor and get it cut off so he said he could snip it off. I said sure, thinking, otherwise it's not coming off. Anyway I found out that trauma to your tongue is very inconvienant. It wasn't extremely painful, I mean it hurt but it was more that my tongue swelled and it was really hard to talk. Being a teacher and not being able to talk easily is hard. I got sick of mashed potatoes and pudding really fast and I gave in and showed my students a video and played games on Friday. It taught me to be very grateful for that unsung hero of our body, a healthy tongue.

2 comments:

Kim H. said...

tounge is mightier than the sword, right!:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa! Thanks for writing a blog so that I can read about what you've been up to! Love ya!
-Rhonda